This week I enjoyed exploring all of technology tools for the Mini Project assignment part I because I can see myself using all of these technology tools in my classroom with my students. It is important to incorporate fun and engaging activities into my classroom because I want all of my students to feel motivated and excited about their learning. As our textbook Using Inquiry in the Classroom explains, “without student motivation, engagement will not happen and deep inquiry will not take place” (Coffman, 2013, p.2). The two technology tools that I have chosen to explore more deeply are telling stories with comics using Comic Life 2 (it is not a free program however you can download a free trial for 30 days) and creating a talking Avatar using Voki.

Telling stories with comics

This is a great tool for students to practice their Spanish writing and reading skills because students can create comic books and then read his or her partners comic book and comment on it.  Our textbook Using Inquiry in the Classroom mentions, “technology tools are best utilized in a classroom when they enhance active engagement of the learner, utilize collaborative groups, encourage feedback and interaction” (Coffman, 2013, p.154). This technology tool can be used for any level of Spanish because Spanish I students can create a basic comic book and Spanish 4 students can create a more advance comic book. This is why I like this tool very much because I can use it for all of my classes.  Also students can practice their speaking skills by presenting their comic books to the class. In addition, students can enforce their copyright skills since they have to upload images into their comic books. Teaching and enforcing copyright friendly skills in my classroom is important because the more I enforce these skills and have my students practice them, the more they will understand why it is important to only use images that are copyright friendly.

Here is a link to the comic book I created: La rutina diaria de Tommy (Tommy’s daily routine)

Creating a talking Avatar using Voki

This is a really awesome tool! I had a lot of fun creating a talking Avatar and I know my students will have fun as well. In my classroom students from any Spanish level can practice their Spanish pronunciation by creating an avatar and then recording their own voice (I recorded my own voice into all the Avatars I created because I want my students to do so as well. I want to hear their Spanish pronunciation so I will not allow my students to use the typing option when creating their Avatar). Also by creating an Avatar students can practice their Spanish writing skills because before they record their voice they will need to write a script. For example, in the first week of school in a Spanish 2 and above class my students can create a talking Avatar and introduce themselves using Spanish. Students can talk about what they did over the summer, their favorite color, sport, describe themselves and their family members. Our textbook Using Inquiry in the Classroom explains, “when you make your activities personal and use technology as a real world tool, your lessons become more meaningful” (Coffman, 2013. p.21).

Here is a link where I have created an Avatar to introduce myself  in Spanish

Reference:

Coffman. T. (2013). Using inquiry in the classroom: Developing creative thinkers and  information literate students. (2nd Ed.). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education.