I initiated my search of the image “The Great Sphinx of Giza” using Google images advance search tool bar. I modified my search settings to filter explicit and free to use and share results. Afterwards I clicked on the picture that I liked the most (see above), which took me to Flickr.com where The Brit_2 originally posted the image. The image that I found has a Creative Commons (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs) license.  This license allows me to share, copy, distribute and transmit the image. I am able to use this image on my blog freely because the creator allows me to share this picture.

When I was a freshman in college I wasn’t familiar with the concept of copyright laws.  For my presentations or project assignments I searched for specific images using the goggle image tool bar and I added the picture I liked the most into my presentations without thinking twice, however I always cited the source underneath the picture. I wasn’t aware or had the knowledge that I am unauthorized to use many images and videos posted on the Internet because these images/ videos may have specific copyright licenses that do not allow users to copy and share them unless the visual material is in a public domain.

The licenses of pictures and videos specify what a user is allowed to do with the visual material. It is my responsibility to find which license an image or video possess before I use it in my own work. As Dr. Coffman mentioned on our week three-reflection blog post activity, “just because it’s on the Web doesn’t mean that it’s OK for you to reuse for your own creations”(2013). While searching for “The Great Sphinx of Giza” image I found the following types of licenses:

Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license

Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial

Creative Commons: Attribution

I agree with Dr. Coffman, I as a teacher, need to model best practices for my students to acquire.  It is imperative that I comply with and follow copyright laws because I represent a model citizen who my students look up to for information. It is essential for students to learn how to honor and cite the works of others. This includes quotes, images, and videos. I should teach and remind my students that knowing how to find the license from copyright material is necessary because students may get in trouble if they use an image or video without the creator’s permission if the creator doesn’t allow anyone to copy its material. It is alarming to think that I as a student might have used visual material that I was unauthorized to use freely in my former presentations or projects. I was taught in school that I was allowed to use any image or video if its use was for educational purposes however, I have learned that this is not accurate because the “Fair Use provisions of the law allow teachers and students to use these materials [pictures, videos] for educational purposes…with certain restrictions (Solomon & Schrum, 2010, p. 107). This means that I as a student and a future educator have the responsibility to check which copyright license a visual material has.

My future digital native students are going to find most of their information and material online. Our textbook Web 2.0 How-To For Educators emphasizes how teachers should “encourage students to create presentations that develop the skills of inquiry, creativity and higher-order thinking… students must learn how to create meaning and communication with visual tools” (Solomon & Schrum, 2010, p.102).  It is important for students to know how to properly use all of the resources they find on the web.

I was looking for current copyright law information and I came across The Stanford Copyright & Fair Use website. This website is very informative and helpful if anyone has any questions about copyright. For example,

“How long does a copyright last? For works published after 1977, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years” (Stanford copyright & fair use, 2005-2012).

This information is fascinating and useful.

References

Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2010). Web 2.0: How to for educators. International Society for Technology in Education

Stanford copyright & fair use. (2005-2012). http://fairuse.stanford.edu/about/